Safeguards Training is a website devoted to those who are interested in learning more about respite work and those already providing respite support services who want to access more information or simply share ideas.
The Respite Services Training Certificate can be used by a range of people. It was designed as a self-paced online course to prepare individuals to work in respite support situations and also provides a basic level of training for current respite workers. Those who are already working in the field may find it useful to take the course to explore areas they are less familiar with ensure they have a full understanding of all the skills required.
- Module 1: The World of Respite Support: An Overview
- Module 2: People You Will Support
- Module 3: How to Support a Person in a Meaningful Life
- Module 4: Communication
- Module 5: Boundaries
- Module 6: Personal Care
- Module 7: Creating a Positive Environment
- Module 8: Confidentiality
- Module 9: Health and Safety
- Module 10: Abuse
- Module 11: Closure
- Module 12: Quiz and Summary
By the end of this course, you will be able to:
- Describe the role of a Direct Support Provider
- Support a person in a "meaningful life"
- Deploy active listening skills for effective communication
- Define clear boundaries of what should and should not be expected of a respite support provider
- Create a positive environment to handle challenging respite support situations
- Implement good health and safety practices in respite support situations
- Recognize signs of abuse and know the proper procedures to follow in such cases
- Properly bring closure to a respite support relationship
Please contact firstname.lastname@example.org or call (905) 889-5030 ext. 121 with any questions about registration, your user name and password or certificate.