At FRS we work together with approximately 900 families in Windsor and Essex County. Families receive funding for a number of different programs which may help with providing a short break from caregiving. Some families are interested in having support for their son or daughter to develop skills, participate in the community and build relationships. The support is intended to be flexible and individually designed to meet the needs of the child and their family.
Families look for many qualities in the individual who will care for their child. This includes an appropriate knowledge of the role and responsibility of a respite provider, background and training that is suited to their child’s individual needs, screening to ensure the safety of their child and availability to meet their particular situation.
FRS assists families with screening, providing information and access to a safe, confidential and respectful matching process. We use a tool called www.respiteservices.com in this process.
A staff person from FRS is available at each step of the way.
As we continue on our journey together we will talk with you to ensure that your background, skills and knowledge are a good fit for the expectations of the families who are looking for a respite provider.
The process will include:
- Attending an Information Session: Providing you with information about the role and expectations of a respite provider.
- An opportunity following the information meeting to have a brief discussion with a staff person from FRS to answer questions and provide a snapshot of your skills, experience and expectations. This will help to determine if it is appropriate to continue with the full screening process.
- If you continue with the full screening process, the successful completion of an on line training course will give a fuller understanding of the needs of the children and families we work with. This is a mandatory component.
- We will also need a current police clearance (within the last 6 months) and 3 references from you.
- An interview to discuss your application will also be part of the process.
- Following the approval of your application we then work with you to find an appropriate match with a child and family. The matching website is called www.respiteservices.com
Please contact Family Respite Services if you are interested and have any questions:
519-972-9688 x 156 firstname.lastname@example.org